Roast Beef (slow-cooker)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 medium carrots, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 medium potatoes (optional – you may choose to serve over rice or noodles, instead)
- 2-4 pound roast (I used chuck)
- 1 Tbs bouillon (chicken, beef or herb) – for salt and flavor
- 1 bay leaf, 2 cloves garlic, 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- ¾ cup red wine or other liquid
- 3-ish Tbs corn starch, dissolved in a small amount of cold water
Put wine in bottom of crock pot and stir in bouillon.
Place onion, carrot and celery in crock pot. Top with bay leaf and meat.
Arrange potatoes around the edge and up to the top.
Cook on slow heat, depending on when you want to serve dinner. I used the 8-hour setting, or “low”.
When ready to serve, put the meat and veggies onto serving platter(s). Pour the liquid into a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Thicken with as much of the dissolved corn starch as needed to make a hearty gravy. Top with gravy or serve it on the side.